"This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard, and you put one word after another until it's done. It's that easy, and that hard."
Neil Gaiman is arguably one of contemporary literature's most important authors--and definitely one of the most prolific. He's written tons of comics, screenplays for film and television, short stories, a video game, some non-fiction, and published a bunch of novels for adults and children, including some great ones like Coraline, American Gods, and The Ocean at the End of the Lane. He's only in his 50s, and he's still going strong!
Fun Facts about Neil Gaiman:
- First author to win both the Newbery and Carnegie medals for the same book (The Graveyard Book).
- Started reading at age four and has been a voracious reader since. He loves comics and classics, and everything in between.
- Grew up in a family of Scientologists, but is not religious. Says there's probably a 50/50 chance God exists, but he doesn't really care either way.
- Famously has a writing shed where he retreats to enjoy the quiet of nature while he writes.
- My favorite thing? He keeps bees!
- He's expecting a baby with Amanda Palmer in September.
The best part about writing is writing. The worst part about writing is writing. If you want to be an author, you just have to do it, man. Put one word after another until it's done--best advice ever.